Saturday, March 12, 2005

Friday Mar 11, 2005
This morning at 8.30 am I took my 10 year old son to the sports centre here in Alor Star for his TaeKwondo test from blue to dark blue belt. Since this is the first time I ever attended tests of this kind, I wasn't even sure which colour comes first. All the time the mother had been taking him for the classes and tests and this time because she had to pay a visit to critically ill uncle of hers, I had to do it in her place. It was kind of uneasy for me at first because there were so many parents most of whom were quite friendly and, of course because they have never seen me before, many asked which one was my son. I suddenly felt that maybe I have not been spending much time with my son; I should be his source of encouragement and clearly here, one would notice that it was the mother who was the motivating factor. This must change I decided to myself and after watching him in the test, I was really quite impressed. His movements were well co-ordinated and confident and I am quite proud that in my eyes, he appears to be quite good (not being a pugilist myself, I wasn't sure how to judge it). Nevertheless, I was impressed and proud.
So in order to motivate him further, I decided that I will take over the role from my wife from now on. in fact I have even decided to get myself enrolled. For one, it will help me keep fit, though there's a nagging feeling now, a few hours later, that I may not even make it past the yellow belt and my son will most probably get his black belt before he is 12! Well, we'll see how it goes. It could be fun though, breaking my back and a few bones, you know.