Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Izmir in Krabi - Aug 18 - 25 2007

It seems like we just can't avoid Krabi. Perhaps it is because we are already familiar with the place...like I can't resist not going over to Fa's place for a plate of pancake and a glass of cha-ron. Her pancake must have evolved from our roti canai albeit a lot softer and tenderer and it is served with honey, maple syrup or even just condensed milk. I asked what she added to the tea to make it taste and smell so good. She added 'bunga kerak nasi'. You know those tiny white flowers whose plant creep and scale bigger trees. But I would only do that after 11.00 pm when the rest of the family have gone to sleep when as always, the night still seems so young. It is so nice to be out there sucking in the fresh sea breeze blowing in from the sea, almost tasting the salt in the air...so fresh and so refreshing.

Another reason why I like to take my family here is because people are genuinely friendly and kind. They don't harass you to buy whatever they are selling and are very helpful. Food is so good and it is amazing how fish, crabs, and prawns could be cooked in so many different ways and variations. Best of all, most of them are halal. But watch your tastebuds!! They are really hot, very very hot. And I love it.

This is Izmir's second trip to Krabi. He was walking and running around the last time. This time around, he is no longer ambulatory. He has to be wheeled around in a wheel chair. The progress of the disease, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, DMD seems unstoppable. We have tried so many therapies, different types of acupunctures, herbs, lingzhi and we are spending so much money...but I am not giving up. One option is still open to him, ie., stemcell transplantation. I have been doing a lot of reading on stemcells and I think this may help him, or at least slow down the necrosis of his muscles. That's going to be even more money but I don't care as long as he can get well...I am sure he will.

No comments: